Friday 14 September 2012

OH MERCY





Yup, if you know this picture, mercy's on you :) For those who don't, it's the album cover of
'The Great Barrier Grief', a beautifully soft and touching ballad of Oh Mercywhose music 
and lyrics have inspired me so much in my art. Listening to 'Stay Please Stay' is like casting
 a melodic chant; but only it makes me wanna dance (like those in the video); my thoughts blur away
 in this hazy mist of peacefulness while I sync to the lyrics and the day just won't get any better.



Talking about art without mentioning about music is like making a cake without sugar-you 
may as well forget about dessert? Art and music are biffles, it's all very Zen, and my post today
 is fully dedicated for that. I've chosen  Alexander Gow, the frontman of Oh Mercy
 as the best example of this beautiful art-music marriage. Also FYI, the cover on the album 
you saw above is by Ken Done(It's Ken it's Done- haha) .In my opinion, when you have 
a strong emotional connection with a song you will also form a connection with any sensual/visual 
feature associated with it. Every time I listen to the album, the picture above appears in my head 
and vice versa- hence I connect so much with the album and that abstract nude painting is 
definately one of my favourite,evaaa!

Anyway back to Alexander Gow. This is his essay about the beautiful marriage between art and music


“Art is the thrilling spark that beats death.” Brett Whiteley

When I drop my bags and guitar cases at the Billabong Gardens Backpackers 
in Newtown, I stare at the Whiteley print hanging on the wall. (They always give 
me the same room). I’m thrilled. It makes me want to drink coffee. It makes me 
want to play the guitar. It makes me wish I could convince the gorgeous 
German woman staying next door to undress for me. I am thrilled. 
(Listening to Leonard Cohen makes me want to do all of the above at the same time.)

And if we ourselves lift the brush, the pencil, or the tape recorder, we are making 
a record. We are trapping a moment of intense beauty, passion, grief or 
everyday monotony - if we choose. This is the musician and artist’s greatest gift. He 
or she is given permission to sing that thing that was too stupid to be spoken. Or paint 
the German woman without her clothes on, despite never even meeting her. 

Voltaire once said “Anything that is too stupid to be spoken is sung.” 

Anything too bold to suggest, or too romantic to whisper, can be sung. Something 
too flawless or flawed to survive; something too relentlessly intoxicating, mercilessly
exhilarating, can be painted. Or, at least we can try. The musician, the writer,
is given the privilege of naming a song, of naming an album, of choosing the cover art.
What a gift! He or she has complete control over their perception. They have 
complete control. What luck!

I understand my luck. I am lucky that some people like my songs. I am lucky that 
Mitchell Froom worked with me. I am lucky to have a passionate and dedicated manager.
I am lucky to have Ken’s painting represent my music. I am lucky that I get to name
songs and an album, lucky that those titles will be spoken be others - real life human
beings. I am lucky that in 100 years my great grandson will know that his great 
grandfather adored woman as much as he might. 

That is the gift that is my ‘immortality’ for artists and musicians alike. And I will not take
 it for granted.

Alexander Gow

The pink heron, Brett Whiteley

Art, life and other thing; Brett Whiteley



"Let Me Go"-I'm a single man don't fuck up my plan


Orange Nude, Ken Done

Downstairs at the cabin, Ken Done














"Drums"

No comments:

Post a Comment